heya,

I'm trying to install OpenSolaris 2008.11 on an old server, to use as a backup
file-server.

Currently, it has two IDE disks, 300 Gb and 160 Gb.

If possible, I wanted to create a 25 Gb rpool on the first 300Gb disk, to
install Solaris into, then take the remaining 275 Gb (approx) and combine it
with the 160 Gb disk to create a second zpool.

There doesn't seem to be any option to specify the rpool size in the Caiman
installer, and if I just install it to the whole disk, there appear to be any
way to shrink a zpool afterwards to make room on the 300Gb for the datastore
zpool.

If I ask the installer to install to a 25 Gb partition, it doesn't seem to work
either. I try to use "format", then "fdisk" from that to create a new partition
(?) that fills the rest of the disk, but zpool can't seem to use that space
afterwards (I read somewhere about some rule that there can only be a single
Solaris partition per disk?)

What would be the best way of trying to achieve what I want?

Cheers,
Victor