Stephen Lau wrote:
You do a disservice by dismissing anyone who may know about Sun Studio as either lacking skill or being lazy. There are plenty of developers who have written software on other platforms (OS X, Linux, etc.) who have written perfectly good software with gcc-isms, and have users (like us) appealing to them to port it over to Solaris. Having not-up-to-date matching compilers only makes Solaris look bad, and gives the developers an excuse for not porting their software.

I have to agree with Stephen. While I don't believe developers should use gccisms (because I think portability and adhering to language standards is more important), sometimes there is no viable alternative or you are targeting a specific platform and it doesn't matter.

I also believe Sun Studio to be a better compiler, in general, and that's after using gcc since 1993 or 1994...

Regardless, as long as Sun Studio remains closed, it is important that the OpenSolaris community provide a viable, up-to-date, open source option as much as possible.

Cheers,
--
Shawn Walker