After a failed pkg image-update tonight (network errors), I seem to be in a
hole I can't get out of.

OpenSolaris 2009.06:

ja155...@khepri02 ~ $ uname -a
SunOS khepri02 5.11 snv_111b i86pc i386 i86pc

I have deleted other boot environments:

ja155...@khepri02 ~ $ export BE_PRINT_ERR=true
ja155...@khepri02 ~ $ pfexec beadm list
be_open_menu: failed to open menu.lst file /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst
BE          Active Mountpoint Space Policy Created
--          ------ ---------- ----- ------ -------
opensolaris NR     /          7.11G static 2009-06-17 13:10

pkg image-update fails:

ja155...@khepri02 ~ $ pfexec pkg image-update
be_open_menu: failed to open menu.lst file /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst
be_open_menu: failed to open menu.lst file /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst
be_get_uuid: failed to get uuid property from BE root dataset user properties.
PHASE                                        ACTIONS
Update Phase                                     1/1
be_do_installgrub: failed to open new grub capability file
pkg: unable to activate opensolaris-1

NOTE: Please review release notes posted at:

http://opensolaris.org/os/project/indiana/resources/relnotes/200906/x86/

It leaves a boot environment:

ja155...@khepri02 ~ $ beadm list
be_open_menu: failed to open menu.lst file /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst
be_open_menu: failed to open menu.lst file /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst
BE            Active Mountpoint     Space  Policy Created
--            ------ ----------     -----  ------ -------
opensolaris   NR     /              7.11G  static 2009-06-17 13:10
opensolaris-1 -      /tmp/tmpBGn5S1 314.5K static 2009-06-19 10:38

That I can delete:

ja155...@khepri02 ~ $ pfexec beadm destroy -f opensolaris-1
be_open_menu: failed to open menu.lst file /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst
be_open_menu: failed to open menu.lst file /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst
Are you sure you want to destroy opensolaris-1? This action cannot be
undone(y/[n]): y
be_open_menu: failed to open menu.lst file /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst

Bootadm doesn't help either:

ja155...@khepri02 ~ $ pfexec bootadm -m upgrade
bootadm: failed to determine fdisk partition: rpool/ROOT/opensolaris
bootadm: cannot find GRUB signature for /

update_grub doesn't seem to do the trick:

ja155...@khepri02 ~ $ pfexec /boot/solaris/bin/update_grub
Creating GRUB menu in /
Installing grub on /dev/rdsk/c7t5d0s0
stage1 written to partition 0 sector 0 (abs 16065)
stage2 written to partition 0, 271 sectors starting at 50 (abs 16115)
ja155...@khepri02 ~ $ beadm list
be_open_menu: failed to open menu.lst file /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst
BE          Active Mountpoint Space Policy Created
--          ------ ---------- ----- ------ -------
opensolaris NR     /          7.11G static 2009-06-17 13:10
ja155...@khepri02 ~ $ pfexec pkg image-update
be_open_menu: failed to open menu.lst file /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst
be_open_menu: failed to open menu.lst file /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst
be_get_uuid: failed to get uuid property from BE root dataset user properties.
PHASE                                        ACTIONS
Update Phase                                     1/1
be_do_installgrub: failed to open new grub capability file
pkg: unable to activate opensolaris-1

NOTE: Please review release notes posted at:

http://opensolaris.org/os/project/indiana/resources/relnotes/200906/x86/

Does anybody have an idea on what I can do to get this computer (that I
installed freshly yesterday) to do an image-update?

This is BTW a screenshot of my failing pkg image-update, which is (I believe)
the root cause for my problems:

(13:56:33) Jorgen: bash-3.2$ pfexec pkg image-update
DOWNLOAD                                    PKGS       FILES     XFER (MB)
SUNWgnome-text-editor                    497/770 22410/32212 477.00/720.88

pkg: Maximum number of network retries exceeded during download. Details follow:
1: Transfer from 'http://jotunheim:8000' failed: Read error on tar stream.
(happened 2 times)
2: Transfer from 'http://osol-re.eng/dev' timed out: 408 - Request Timeout.
(happened 6 times)