On Jun 21, 2009, at 10:49 AM, Charles Hedrick wrote:
Java seems a bit slow on my 2009.6 system. It takes 5 min to build Sakai, our course management system. Under Linux on the same machine it takes 4 min.

The machine is a Dell Optiplex 960 with a quad-core Intel Q9550 (2.83 GHz) and 8 GB of memory, running 2009.6 as a Xen dom0. (No domU is running during the tests.)

I've tried every Java tuning option I can think of. I put the whole build tree on a ram disk to eliminate I/O performance. (That had almost no impact, which is a tribute to ZFS performance.) I've tried the Java that comes with 2009.6, and the latest image from java.sun.com, in both 32 and 64 bit mode.

Even more embarrassing, my Mac Pro can do the same build in 3 min. But it's a 2.93 GHz Xeon 5500 quad core, so I think the chip is just faster.

Is it expected that Java would be significantly slower on Solaris than Linux?

Not that I'm aware of. But there a few parts of the equation still missing here.

Is the exact same version of java being used on both operating systems?

Is OpenSolaris the only OS on that system?

We're talking about a 20% difference here to put an exact figure on things, right (4 minutes vs. 5 minutes)? How close is the difference?

When you talk about building "Sakai", what tools does it use to build? ant, etc.? Are those all the same versions?

I suspect there's more here than just java that is involved in the build process.

Cheers,
--
Shawn Walker