On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 12:00 AM, Hillel Lubman<shtetl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got a used Sun Fire V240 server and want to try to test it with
> OpenSolaris. But there i
> no video card there installed (I don't have experience with servers, it's
> possible to access it
> through serial port probably, but I prefer to put a video card there).
> Specific Sun PCI video
> cards for it cost around $200 or more. Is it compatible with some generic PCI
> video cards
> (assumed it's supported by OpenSolaris)?

The short answer (the long one only if you are really curious, or
browse the xwin-discuss archives) :  Go to a popular auction site and
happily find PGX32's, PGX64's, XVR-100's or Techsource Raptor 8p's for
down to less than $10 end price.
Then, because this box is a server, it may have a problematic compile
of the OBP version it is shipping with, wherre misc. address ranges
are somehow blocked. Because I do not collect servers for testing, I
cannot tell you if Xorg will work on this machine. Moreover it might
be, that officially unsupported gfx cards _do_not_ function on it at
all, not even with Xsun. One such example where I noticed this is
SF280R or N20  <--->  SB1000/2000.
So only buy a card with a chipset and the fcodes that is "officially"
Sun-supported.
Your safest bet is the XVR-100. Afterwards you need to install SXCE
Xsun-packages yourself, to get the drivers into the system (the Xsun
ddx drivers). The fb drivers are in the opensolaris.org repo. For
further questions pls. let's switch over to xwin-discuss. I put it
into the CC.

--
%martin