Dennis Clarke wrote:
> I noticed that the /usr/xpg4/bin area seems to be well filled on the Live
> CD image with the exception of the SUNWxcu4t ( XCU4 make and sccs
> utilities ) however XCU6 Utilities were missing entirely. This came up as
> a matter of discussion at a datacenter where we began to debate standards
> compliant OS implementations and of course I proudly stated that
> OpenSolaris was fully compliant with the various SUSv3 and POSIX specs.
> In fact, you could boot the Live CD and run with it safe in the knowledge
> that everything you do can be standards compliant.
>
> I should be a little less enthusiastic about such things because it looks
> like I lost a bet. Did I mention a bet? Well I lost it because the
> resident Linux fan looked into POSIX.1-2001 or SUSv3 and pointed out that
> /usr/xpg6/bin was entirely absent. Thus, the OpenSolaris Live CD was not
> infact compliant with SUSv3.

Why should it be?   I don't think we've ever had an install media that contained
a full environment for standards compliance, and while the LiveCD offers a lot
more functionality than previous install media, it's still not intended to do
everything that you'll get off a fully installed system with the packages added
for things you need.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersm...@sun.com