casper....@sun.com wrote:
I don't yet know or understand why the 32-bit case could not be fixed,
but the 64-bit case could be; I suspect kernel data structure types are
to blame?

And booting from EFI labeled disks is another problem...
Depends on the OS and computer.  I know a certain laptop computer
manufacturer that uses EFI for their OS, disks, etc. without issue...

If you mean Apple, remember that they needed to update the BIOS in order to boot other operating systems.

Right; but the point is that OS support is the primary barrier where the hardware supports it. The question is whether increasing disk sizes and Window 7's EFI support will push vendors to finally use EFI, along with the fact that it uses Windows 7 apparently uses a GPT partition scheme by default?

Cheers,
--
Shawn Walker