This sounds like bug 6853997 - see http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6853997

Try the workaround.
If so, it's fixed in build 119.

Brian

Rob McMahon wrote:
I've just updated to b118 (from 117), and something nasty seems to have happened to ssh. Each connection to a known host comes back with, e.g.,

The authenticity of host '�t
P� (<ipaddress>)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is <whatever>
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)?

I know the hostname and ip are correct. I say `yes', and all works fine. A `cat -vet' of ~/.ssh/known_hosts shows

> cat -vet ~/.ssh/known_hosts | awk '{print $1}' | tail -3
M-(t^K^HPM-(^F^H
^P
M-(t^K^HPM-(^F^H

(Older entries look like `hostname,ip-address'.) The two identical mangles "hostnames" were for two completely different hosts.

Anyone else seen this ?

Rob

--
Brian Ruthven                                        Sun Microsystems UK
Solaris Revenue Product Engineering             Tel: +44 (0)1252 422 312