Brian Ruthven - Sun UK <brian.ruth...@sun.com>
writes:

> Have you checked the automount(1M) man page? The simple case for 1
> filesystem to be automounted is to specify it in a direct map. The
> section on "Direct Maps" gives an example of what to add to
> /etc/auto_master.
>
> See also the "Map Entry Format" section for what to put in /etc/auto_direct.
>
> That should hopefully get you up and running.

I'm denser than most... but now that I'm absolutely confused by what
appears to be a man page that is designed purposely to be confusing.
(I know that was not the intent of the author.... but jesus.... does
it really have to be so convuluted).

Seems I need something like:

/etc/auto_master

/localdir       [options] remoteHost:/remotedir

But I'm not really understanding at all what role  /etc/auto_direct
plays.

It appears its another way to annotate something in /etc/auto_master

like:

  /projects-      auto_direct

I see no mention anywhere of creating an /etc/auto_direct... or any
indication of what might go in it.

Is there no chance of ignoring all the mapping baloney and put some kind
of entry in /etc/vfstab?