Nxge requires a x8 slot to operate properly.

On Jul 25, 2009, at 4:29, Mario Goebbels <m...@tomservo.cc> wrote:

Hi - I have a couple of cheep desktops I'm playing around with (Dell Optiplex 740) wanted to add a few more network interfaces; but the only cards within arm's reach were a quad port Sun (nxge) and a quad port Intel (e1000g) both are PCI-E x8 form factor. The desktops only have two slots, one PCI and one x16 PCI-E. Installed the cards into the x16 slot and everything boots and plumbs and one would think work, but alas no ping.

Tried x-over cables, switches, different cards, different ports no joy. Interestingly enough put another nxge card in another PC (Same HW, Dell Optiplex 740, same BIOS level and settings) and installed the driver under Windows (XP) and it works without out issue.

If one reads really deeply into the flashy lights, one might guess that the cards are transmitting but not receiving. (Snoop reports that as well). Cards report good negotiation, 1000/full etc..

Any ideas?

Check the BIOS for a setting to disable PEG mode on the PCIe 16x slot. That might help.

Regards,
-mg