I am unable to share cifs share on open solaris with authentication from
windows machine. I followed the following steps

# svcadm enable -r smb/server

# zfs create  tank/cifs0

# zfs set sharesmb=on tank/cifs
# sharemgr show -vp
default nfs=()
zfs
    zfs/tank/cifs0 smb=()
          tank_cifs0=/tank/cifs0

r...@isv-x4500b # zfs set sharesmb=name=cifs0 tank/cifs0
r...@isv-x4500b # sharemgr show -vp
default nfs=()
zfs
    zfs/tank/cifs0 smb=()
          cifs0=/tank/cifs0

Set the name of the Workgroup.

# smbadm join -w solcifs
Successfully joined workgroup 'solcifs'

Install the SMB PAM module

Add the below line to the end of /etc/pam.conf:

other   password required       pam_smb_passwd.so.1     nowarn

In this whole process, this is the only time I have to edit a file, and this is
a one off.

Set/Change the Passwords for any Solaris User That Will be Used to Authenticate
when Connecting to a  CIFS share

I will user root, but I could use any Solaris user the server knows about.

# passwd root
New Password:
Re-enter new Password:
passwd: password successfully changed for root

With the SMB PAM module installed, this generates passwords that can be used by
Windows as well as Solaris. This is a required step.