The thing is that you have pkgbuild or OpenPkg  which can build or
install from rpms thus addressing user needs through package
interoperability. You normally don't have to apply a lot of effort by
adding more packages when there's several rpm repositories online that
are used in other scenarios. With a working framework getting most
applications to work as on any other rpm based platform is worth
shouting about - for depending on your point of view and development
issues. It would be interesting to see how this is addressed in
OpenSolaris.