Alexander wrote:
Hello.
We are running a set of web kiosks with Sun Ray Server Software. We made a set of scripts and patches to
restrict user actions in kiosk session and to make user interface more clear. We are disappointed that
current Gnome environment was quite hard to configure. In fact, there are several menus and options which
confuse inexperienced users. We didn't find a way (without patching nautilus, gvfsd and gnome-panel) to get
rid of 1) Settings menu and Preferences menu in GUI, 2) aviability of "burn://" URI and
"CD/DVD Creator" menu items in nautilus. Nautilus even doesn't check aviability of
"burn://" URI using have_burn_uri(), when menus are added to places sidebar, so you should patch
gvfsd AND nautilus to get rid of it.
If you want to run kiosk mode, I think you should really disable the use of nautilus, since with that, it will be impossible (almost) to stop user from launching a terminal somewhere and then run whatever they want. Though you try out to see these gconf keys first, /desktop/gnome/lockdown/*

What version of Solaris are you running?

-Ghe
So we suggest to examine the possibility of implementing more customization to
Gnome GUI.