<bay104-w30d55ab1eac038dcaeaaced6...@phx.gbl>

 <4aa1a072.90...@sun.com>

=A0 You forgot competitive aspect of the global
market. Certainly Sony and other companies
will continue to use Linux under GPLv2. Even
Linus is not for that Linux make transition from
GPLv2 to GPLv3. We could think that one of
reasons is big sponsorship contracts of Linux
Foundation with large hardware companies.

=A0 If OpenSolaris make transition=2C it'd be *first*
OS under GPLv3. Very soon we could expect that
some company release same product as Sony
PlayStation 3=2C for example=2C but now with software
licensed under GPLv3. All GNU stack will instantly
be with OpenSolaris=2C too=2C and as time pass Linux
has to make same step but it'd be a little bit
late to catch the train=2C because OpenSolaris would
take over whole market. Sony *cannot* develop its
own fork of Linux on a longer term. When they accept
reality=2C they will do transition but this time
to OpenSolaris.

=A0 Same thing is with Mobile phones=2C Netbooks=2C etc.

=A0 This is my point of view.

Uros

"Every kind of peaceful cooperation among men
is primarily based on mutual trust and only
secondarily on institutions such as courts of
justice and police."

- Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

> Date: Sat=2C 5 Sep 2009 07:19:14 +0800
> From: alan.coopersm...@sun.com
> Subject: Re: [osol-discuss] Nokia Booklet 3G
> To: ur...@opensolaris.org
> CC: m...@roundhere.us=3b opensolaris-discuss@opensolaris.org
>
> Uros Nedic wrote:
>> How would you solve emerging problem that
>> hardware vendors doesn't allow change of
>> pre-installed software of purchased machine/device?
>
> How is that solved if the hardware vendors don't want to allow this?
> They'll just continue to choose software under licenses that allow
> them to continue to lock in their stack. The existence of an OS
> under GPLv3 (any OS=2C whether it be a theoretical Linux or OpenSolaris)
> doesn't solve this problem as long as other OS'es exist under more
> permissive licenses (which they always will=2C given the pre-existence
> of GPLv2 Linux and CDDL OpenSolaris=2C which can always be used=2C even
> if not the latest and most up-to-date versions).
>

> --
> -Alan Coopersmith- alan.coopersm...@sun.com
> Sun Microsystems=2C Inc. - X Window System Engineering
                                          =0A=