Hi,

dirk schelfhout wrote:
so is this the proper way of doing this :
So, in order to set the max per user processes in this scenario, we were required to make the
changes to "pidmax" (upper cap), maxusers, max_nprocs & maxuprc
Sample entries in  /etc/system & reboot
set pidmax=60000
set maxusers = 4096
set maxuprc = 50000
set max_nprocs = 50000

You may want to consult the Solaris Tuneables guide available on docs.sun.com
before
setting these (and see below for an alternative).  For example, pidmax is simply
the maximum PID at which we wrap around back to 0 and start using previously
used
PIDs (from processes that have since exited).  The default is 30000 on a
non-DEBUG
kernel.  You could still have around 30000 actual processes in existence at
once.

i found this here :
http://blogs.sun.com/hasham/entry/solaris_10_increasing_number_of

what would be the steps I need to take to find out what is bringing my system
down as I wrote above. And to prevent it. I can't find ztest on my system. I
believe I once tested this with the commands as above running on a mounted
zpool ( netatalk ) from a system running osx. I only have 1gig of memory, but
it should swap if it needed more I would think. If i run top in another window
almost no resources are being used.....
no swapping.....

One of the best approaches I've found is to parcel users into projects via
/etc/project and set
resource controls on the project.  Group a few users in a project, 1 per
project etc.

If there is a project 'user.<login>' then that's the one they get at login;
otherwise
next choice is group.<groupname> and eventually the 'default' project.  I use a
project
per user (ie user.<login> for each user) but in other cases separating them into
groups may be easier.

user.gavinm:35619:Gavin
Maltby:::project.cpu-shares=(privileged,200,none);task.max-lwps=(privileged,2000,deny)

The cpu-shares are for use the FSS (the fair-share scheduler).  The
task.max-lwps limits the
number of lwps that can exist in a single taskid for this project (2000 is
quite big, but this
is a reasonable sized system).

See resource_controls(5) for a description of controls that are available.  For
example
the above just limits lwps per task, but I can exceed that number of lwps by
using multiple tasks (eg each new login has a new taskid).  But project.max-lwps
can limit the number of lwps in my project user.gavinm.

Gavin