On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 12:41 AM, Che Kristo <c...@opensolaris.org> wrote:
> Just a brief heads up that Fluendo  will be releasing the DVD Player for
> OpenSolaris at *some stage this week*. You can see some screenshots at my
> blog:
> http://myunix.org/2009/11/03/fluendo-dvd-player-for-opensolaris-arriving-very-very-soon/
>
> Thanks to the guys at Fluendo for the hard work.
>
> Che Kristo

I was looking through their web page and your blog, and I'm not too
clear on the sound support and the specs. Maybe you know a bit more?
I'll skip the obvious features, but these points, I was wondering
about?

    * Fullscreen support

Do you know what it is doing there? Just a linear interpolation, or is
it upscaling? Under windows, players like Arcsoft use CUDA to upscale.
Of course CUDA is not available under solaris. I've asked around about
this feature and I've heard nothing, so that tells me it's not on the
radar screen. However, if it has some decent upscaling in software, it
can still be worth it, for those with fast processors. When using a
computer as a DVD player that has some importance, because even if you
have a Reon HQV in your TV, you are driving it at native resolution,
so the chip sits idle, and all the upscaling has to be done in the PC.

    * Dolby Digital pass-through

Does pass-through work in OpenSolaris, it is really bitstreaming DD
and DTS? If it is a true pass-through, it should even work with dolby
digital plus, yes?

    * Dolby Digital 5.1 output

Does it mean it can decode DD and send it PCM 5.1 out, or that it can
output 5.1 over the analog out or something else?

    * Subtitle support

Can you set where the subtitle shows?

    * Multiregion, works in all regions

Is that true? I thought that was enforced by the DVD reader itself
along with the driver? Years ago I set up an HTPC using solaris,
mplayer and some custom front end I wrote. The dvd was brand new and I
was having issues until I took the dvd reader, put it in a windows
machine, use powerdvd (or something like that) and set the region
code, and back into my Solaris HTPC. Then it worked, but only for DVDs
with that region code.

    * Multiple video deinterlacing algorithms

Is this automatic or you have to specify film, tv, inverse telecine
etc? How does it handle PAL, does it pitch down audio?

On your blog you mention no spdif. I'm assuming this is on your
specific setup, because OSS does support it and I've used mplayer with
that (with -ao to specify the spdif device and -channel 6). Or is
there no way to specify the audio output device in the fluendo dvd
player?

What about keyboard shortcuts, in order to use either a remote or a
multimedia wireless keyboard (with stop, play/pause, forward/back etc
buttons)? Finally, more important than anything else, can you specify
aspect ratio and zoom level?

Francois