Alex wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I couldn't find a answer. Who can help me
>
> What means the content in the brace at the man-pages?
> Where can I find the description?
> e.g.
> zpool(1M) --> 1M
> basename(1) --> 1
> basename(1B) --> 1B
> file(1) --> 1
> file(1B) --> 1B

It's the man page section for the reference.   For instance,
there's both a program named printf and a C function call named
printf, so in order to tell you which man page to read, the
program is listed as "printf(1)" and the function call as "printf(3c)"
and when you need to force a particular section (because there's
multiple choices), you run "man -s 3c printf" - see "man man" and
"man intro" for more info.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersm...@sun.com