I wondered about a home made system info reporter that would report
some basic info about the OS and hardware

   format (show Disks in use)
   zpool list
   zfs list -r
   /bin/df -h

Come to mind as probably most useful in the event the sytem becomes
unusable.

I'm thinking to script something that posts that info to my website on
a daily basis so I'll always have at least yesterdays info.

There are probably tools that do this or at least collect the info.
Any pointers on that are welcome.

If not though, I wondered if someone could coach me a bit with
`format'

When `format' is run with no args it lists all disks and prompts for a
command.

It appears there is no simple way to get the output by scripting,
since `format' doesn't close by itself.  Its probably dead easy to run
it with a `quit' or `exit' somewhere but I'm not sure how that might
be done.

I tried formats' `-f file' option which makes `format' read commands from
the specified `file'. So maybe just putting `quit' in a file might do
it.  Something like:

   `echo "quit" > file && format -f file '

might work in a script but it does not.. I just get the --help output.