> melbogia wrote:
> > There is no "panic" or "syncing filesystems" in
> /var/adm/messages. Here is what I see after I execute
> the command "mkfile 100g /datapool/testfile"
> >
> > I was on the machine at 1600 hours yesterday and
> the next entry after that at 8:43 AM is system
> startup information, it seems it can't even write
> anything to /var/adm/messages before it reboots?
> >
> > Also this may be relevant, the datapool pool
> doesn't exist after it comes up from crash. I have to
> do a "zpool import -f datapool" to import it.
> >

> This may be multiple issues. The fact a reboot
> happens with no trace in
> /var/adm/messages is somewhat worrying to me.
> However, we need to frame
> the issue. Things like:
>
> When you were using the system on the 10th, how
> were you connected
> to it? Were you logged in remotely (via
> ssh/telnet/etc...)?
> Where you on the console? (graphics console, or
>  text mode)?
>    What did you see on the screen around 16:19 ?

I was connected to the server via ssh and I didn't see anything at 16:19.

> an you check any alternate boot environments, and
> make sure you are
> running from the BE you expect to be running from?
> e.g. did you have a
> pending beadm activate, and the reboot simply booted
> into the new
> environment?

There is only one BE in the system
r...@dirt:~# beadm list
BE          Active Mountpoint Space   Policy Created
--          ------ ---------- -----   ------ -------
opensolaris NR     /          137.25G static 2009-12-09 22:05

> Also, are there any known "hardware reset" issues for
> your platform?
> There have been bugs occasionally in the past where a
> driver will cause
> a system-wide reset without going through the panic
> mechanism. I can't
> recall any, but do remember one or two cropping up
> occasionally.

I am not sure about the hardware reset issues, I'll poke around and see what I
find. But there is another machine with the Opensolaris 2009.06 as well, it has
the exact same hardware with the exception of hard disks. It has been working
fine.

> > Dec 11 08:43:36 dirt zfs: [ID 427000 kern.warning]
> WARNING: pool 'datapool' could not be loaded as it
> was last accessed by another system (host: dirt
> hostid: 0x409a4c). See:
> http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
> >

> Whilst I can't comment on this line myself, it does
> (IMO) explain why
> you had to force import the pool after the reboot.
> Assuming there is only one host with name "dirt",
> then this would seem
> to be a bug.

that is correct, there is only one host with that name in the environment.