My thoughts on migrating to the new world of install and update:

wanboot and flash archives (or their equivalent) are very important for
managing our site. I have been assured that a flar equivalent is coming for the
new tools, but that's all I know so far.  We live and die by flar, this
function is a must-have.

I'm not partial as to which languages are used for pkg tools, so long as they
perform.  It looks like these enhancements are underway.  I don't care how
*many* languages you use, so long as the boot archive doesn't grow appreciably.

I need to keep one local cached repository of updates for installing on a
private network (no internet needed during updates).  I'm not clear on whether
the pkg tools fully support proxies yet.  IMHO this is necessary for enterprise
usage.

I guess that retooling my own packages is inevitable.  There's a cost
associated with it, but I'm not married to the old tools -- just very familiar
with them.  I do like Jumpstart quite a bit for extracting flar's, it's simple.
 No JET in use here.

I can't see vendors updating all of their software, though -- we still install
S8-built commercial packages today, and they have actions.  The vendor doesn't
care to update them.  Will they spend the effort for pkg?  It's a potential
barrier.

I think that the action-less design will make installation and updates more
reliable.   Great, I will benefit from that.  Even so, I still need some way to
take a few actions, I guess we just have to be a bit clever to make that happen.

I make my bread and butter on the old tools, but I look forward to seeing where
the new tools take will us.  I can live in both worlds at the same time, so
long as the decision-makers don't conclude that Solaris Next is too alien to
adopt.

Thank you for reading...  -cheers, CSB