What's easiest is probably whatever you're used to, which is to say, once one is
used to something, most differences in what's easier vanish.  There are a lot
of editors
like joe, pico, and the like that are easier than vi.  But once you've used vi
for long
enough, you really don't notice.

Consolidation as a one-to-one real-to-virtual migration isn't going to end up
being all
that much less work.  What it saves in some ways it adds in additional
complexity.  It
does reduce physical resources (power, space, cooling, hardware maintenance),
and
it can add flexibility if you have an extra host and the right sort of setup
(migrating
virtual clients).  It can be great in a development environment if you have
enough physical
resources, because you can quickly create new virtual clients.

In other words, it may not reduce human resources: administrator time, and such.

Woe to you however, if you do not have extra physical host(s) to migrate your
virtual
environments to.  Scheduling downtime for hardware maintenance, or dealing with
the too-many-eggs-in-one-basket problem if something breaks, is no fun at all.

Zones are more efficient than other solutions.  And depending on the details of
the
setup (and _if_ updates go smoothly), they _may_ be less bother to keep
up-to-date.

Make sure that updates play very nicely with zfs snapshots and clones in
whatever version
you end up using.  The experience over various Solaris 10 updates was that it
could be
ugly, or it could be very smooth, depending on where one was starting from.
If you use
zfs, best you don't mix in anything else like VxVM/VxFS, because while it's
possible, it's
likely to make updates require a lot of additional manual intervention.
(System-level
software coming from two or more different vendors adds additional pain of its
own, too.
VxVM/VxFS can be a fine product, but there are a lot of cases where it's just
not worth
the bother.)

Migrating zones is also possible, but _not_ on-the-fly, AFAIK; they have to be
halted
to be migrated.  (LDOMs on a CoolThreads box can come closer; I think they can
just
be suspended, but that may still be a little less transparent than true
on-the-fly migration
under something like VMware.)  I'm not sure where zone migration stands with
OpenSolaris;
with more recent updates of Solaris 10 it was possible, but practical only
between
identical systems (preferably identical hardware, definitely identical OS
version and updates).

Zone migration might be much quicker if zones were in separate zpools, stored
on SAN, with
SAN access set up for source and destination system, such that moving the
storage was
nothing more than zpool export on one system and zpool import on another.
Without a
SAN (or maybe a NAS), either disks would have to be physically moved or data
would have
to be copied.

Zone migration also includes moving the definition of the zone from one system
to another.
I'm not sure which storage arrangements make it the easiest to move both
definition and
storage over together.

"Branded" zones can provide an illusion of different OSs (older versions of
Solaris,
or even partial compatibility with some Linux versions).  That's not as
flexible as separate
VMs, though, nor is the compatibility necessarily 100%.

Doing a good job of setting up zones means setting up the resource controls to
keep them
all using only their proper share of system resources.  There are now _mostly_
enough
controls that if one does it right, there shouldn't be a problem.  But I can
still think of
ways one zone could impact the system as a whole.  It has gotten easier; it
used to be
that some resource controls had to be set up separately, but now pretty much
all the
resource controls can be part of the definition of the zone.

There are situations where zones are a good choice, but I'm not sure I'd want
to draw
up a list of guidelines for how to choose zones vs some other alternative.
They all have
their advantages and disadvantages.

Any sort of virtualization takes at _least_ as much planning, understanding, and
configuration control as the similar number of non-virtualized systems; probably
more, if its flexibility is to be taken advantage of...

TANSTAAFL  (google for it if you don't know what it means)