On 01/18/10 06:36 AM, solarg wrote:
On 01/15/10 11:51 PM, Norm Jacobs wrote:
On 01/15/10 04:04 PM, Guy Woolley wrote:
Thanks Norm - my build 130 (updated earlier this month from my original 111) has LP as the default. I see from pkg manager that CUPS and CUPS-manager are there but not installed. After I install CUPS from the repo I have to disable LP. I can't have both - is that right ?
For CUPS you want the following printing related packages (most should
already be installed)
SUNWpc print commands (LP or CUPS)
SUNWcups-libs libcups and friends
SUNWcups The CUPS scheduler and friends
SUNWpycups Python bindings for libcups
SUNWcups-manager system-config-printer (GUI mgmt tool)
SUNWhal-cups-utils HAL/CUPS/system-config-printer auto-detect/configure bits
SUNWhpijs HPLIP printer support
SUNWgutenprint Gutenprint printer support
SUNWfoomatic-db Foomatic database
SUNWfoomatic-db-engine Foomatic CUPS support
SUNWghostscript need I say more
SUNWgsfot Ghostscript fonts
SUNWgsfst more fonts.
SUNWgtk2-print-cups CUPS support for GTK print dialog

i'm surprised, you give more packages than in http://blogs.sun.com/gheet/entry/how_to_turn_on_cups

does it mean that they are all mandatory or just needed if we use LP instead of CUPS?
I forgot one, SUNWffilters. These are all packages that you might want if you are using CUPS as your print service. Most of them are on the LiveCD, so you get them on a fresh install these days. I guess I will blog about the LP/CUPS printing related components some time this week.

If you image-update from an older builds, you need to add these packages to get all of the printing related functionality that you might use under CUPS. Some of these packages are used by both LP and CUPS.

    -Norm