Norm Jacobs wrote:
On 01/23/10 06:45 AM, Andreas Braathen wrote:
I've bought a Lexmark X4875 printer and to my big disappointment I cannot find any driver or guidelines on how to set it up. Does anyone have any experience
with this printer and been able to make it work with CUPS?

I doesn't seem to be listed at http://www.openprinting.org/driver_list.cgi either.

If there were an entry for it on openprinting.org, it's likely that it would be listed as a paperweight. Lexmark inkjet printers tend to not have open source drivers for them. Usually, their laser printers support some version of PCL or PostScript and have PPD files that work fine under CUPS.

    -Norm

For laser printers, it's even better than that. I bought a Lexmark 543dn recently, and I was pleasantly surprised to see Solaris compatibility explicitly listed on the spec page: http://www1.lexmark.com/products/view/Printers/Lexmark-C543dn/catId=cat10006-category&prodId=4609-product

I realize this doesn't help with the original inkjet question, but I thought the rest of opensolaris-discuss might be interested.

        Scott

--
Scott Rotondo
Principal Engineer, Solaris Security Technologies