> Unfortunately, there's not enough here for me to debug. I can only
> guess that there is a routing issue of some sort between your system and
> pkg.opensolaris.org.

I had a similar problem that I think might be caused by a routing issue with
newer versions of OpenSolaris inside older versions of VirtualBox and maybe
he's having the same problem because he's running OpenSolaris inside virtualbox?

I was installing a zone in OpenSolaris build 129 running inside virtualbox
3.0.4 on top of OpenSolaris 2009.06 snv_111b. The funny thing here is that my
OpenSolaris 2009.06 host box is in a datacenter and has a full 100mb/s
connection out to the internet, but my build 129 guest was having problems with
downloading IPS packages even though there's not all that much network activity
on the host. Here's the output from installing a zone (which of course,
downloads packages from IPS which to me seems kind of unnecessary IMO since the
minimal packages the zone needs should already be there in my base system
install, right?):

# zoneadm -z dhcpzone install
A ZFS file system has been created for this zone.
Publisher: Using opensolaris.org (http://pkg.opensolaris.org/dev/ ).
Image: Preparing at /export/zones/dhcpzone/root.
/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg/client/api_errors.py:295:
DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been deprecated as of Python 2.6
self.message = message
pkg: 0/1 catalogs successfully updated:

1: Framework error: code: 28 reason: Operation too slow. Less than 1024
bytes/sec transfered the last 30 seconds

/usr/bin/pkg:2014: DeprecationWarning: BaseException.message has been
deprecated as of Python 2.6
if cre.message:
ERROR: failed to create image