On 01/31/10 03:07 AM, Bruno Damour wrote:
I've noticed that update manager runs periodically pm-update-manager.
When it does, system becomes barely usable, likewise if one uses package
manager ui
I catched it in prstat and noticed that pm-update-manager runs with a priority of 60
whereas the "normal" desktop apps run with 59.
The rss is very high, nearly 200M on my system with 1G ram, so you can imagine
the result
Is this expected behaviour ?

That's very low priority, but, yes the memory usage is expected. The update manager is running an upgrade check for all the packages on your system.

Cheers,
--
Shawn Walker