Harry:

After doing an image-update from build 129 to 133, I'm finding my old
system for starting X fails now.

I usually run with gdm disabled and rely on startx to get X up when I
need it, so have a console login.

I've been starting X with:
   startx /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session gnome-session

I would recommend starting your desktop like this:

startx /etc/gdm/Xsession gnome-session

Note that the /etc/gdm/Xsession script sets up the environment so the
desktop will work properly, including sourcing all the scripts in
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d.  Note the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/0070.dbus
script will start dbus-launch for you.

This also bypasses GDM, but your environment will be more correct if
you start up this way.

I'm checking now if just enabling gdm will work now, but don't have
much hope since it doesn't bring on a graphical login from the
console, which it should when enabled I think... but still trying a
reboot with gdm running.

Well, that didn't work at all.  I see gdm trying over and over but
just keeps popping back to console login which cannot be used because
every few seconds it gdm trying again.

Finally gdm apparently gives up... and console login works, so not
able to get to X that way either.

Check your Xorg logs in /var/log and /var/log/gdm.  Do they report
any errors which might indicate why it is failing?  Often, such a
failure is caused by a graphics driver issue.

If that doesn't help, you can edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf so it has
these lines:

[debug]
Enable=true

Then restart GDM.  This will cause GDM to put debug messages in your
syslog file (/var/adm/messages).  Reviewing these after the failure
might help to highlight what is going wrong.

Brian