Please how can I with bash read a string for hashing with digest, from stdin?

bash-3.00$ digest  -v  -a  md5  "This is an input string."
digest: can not open input file This is an input string.

I did observe that the redirect operators are not displayed in the preview, so
I attach my example file.
using digest with stdin  command line input.

Please how can I with bash read a string for hashing with digest, from stdin?

bash-3.00$ digest  -v  -a  md5  "This is an input string."
digest: can not open input file This is an input string.

bash-3.00$ digest  -v  -a  md5  <  "This is an input string."
bash: This is an input string.: No such file or directory
bash-3.00$ echo   "This is an input string."  |  digest  -v  -a  md5  -
digest: can not open input file -

bash-3.00$ echo   "This is an input string."  |  digest  -v  -a  md5  <
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

In this example
gunzip < vrb-0.5.0.tar.gz | tar -xpf -

piping is done with redirect operators, and the last hyphen means stdin.