I'm falling back to a rather similar solution, but on a different approach.

The FreeBSD "istgt" daemon can share targets from files, not zvols, and since
it has a plain ascii config file, if I do things "less fancy", and use a flat
/storage (for the storage zpool) with subdirectories, that can be ... handled
by whatever backup tool (no special zfs properties to back up, as it's only
files).

For boot I'll use a dual-CF-to-sata-in-mirror-mode box, and use the existing
solaris rpool disk (backed, like the storage pool, by an MFI and on different
disks). Since ... FreeBSD currently is a little less sysadmin-hostile for
non-enterprise-with-several-physical-locations size installations, I'll just
use bacula or amanda from ports there.

That is, unless someone can come up with a better alternative. ;)

//Svein