On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Dennis Clarke <dcla...@blastwave.org>wrote:

> > You may be running into the following issue
> >
> > 6932552 early calls to cv_reltimedwait() are even less safe post 6919691
> > http://bugs.opensolaris.org/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6932552
> >
> > The work-around is to boot with the GRUB splashimage, foreground and
> > background lines deleted and the ",console=graphics" removed from the
> > GRUB kernel$ line.
> >
> > The fix for this is underway,
>
> This makes my beard itch.
>
> I don't know if the community folks have any real say at all in this but I
> feel like expressing an opinion. That progress bar is really tacky. It
> instantly undervalues the whole name and feel of what a UNIX system should
> be. It is similar to a Honda civic with a tin can welded to the exhaust
> pipe.
>
> The first thing I do is modify my menu.lst for grub to something like so :
>
> default 0
> timeout 15
> title snv_135 i386
> findroot (rootfs0,0,a)
> kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix -v
> module$ /platform/i86pc/$ISADIR/boot_archive
> title snv_135 safe
> findroot (rootfs0,0,a)
> kernel$ /boot/platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix -sv
> module$ /boot/$ISADIR/x86.miniroot-safe
>
> Very simple. At the very least it is respectable. Dignified.
>
> So perhaps solve a few problems with one fell swoop and toss that
> "progress" thing away. I do not see how it reports anything about
> "progress" to the sysadmin.
>
> There, I am now the "bad guy" for saying it.

Sometimes you just can't get a keyboard to work when you're in the
datacenter at 2AM trying to fix a server because customers are yelling at
you... and instead of the error messages you just see the splash screen
*grrr*

It's easily fixed by removing the entries from menu.lst but it's annoying
nevertheless.

I haven't followed the b134 boot problems but if the splash screen is
causing it... +1 from me for removing it from the default install.

--
Giovanni Tirloni
sysdroid.com