I am working on UNIX, as well as on OpenSource since a long time.
I started with first UNIX experiences around 1980 when we made our own
UNIX tutorial at the TU-Berlin from (at that time) illegal copies of the
Lions UNIX V6 book. I made my first real "UNIX" experiences with a UNIX
clone called UNOS in 1982. I started writing the OSS "star" implementation
in 1982 on a UNOS based system.

I made my first OSS experiences in the early 1980s with the OpenSource
movement that was initiated by Larry Wall and Rich Salz in the late 1970s
together with the Usenet-News system.

1984, I joined the H. Berthold AG in Berlin and started working on the
kernel source of the UNOS variant from H.Berthold AG. At the same time,
I finished "bsh", one of the first shells with a cursor editable history
concept from me made in 1982.

In January 1985, H. Berthold AG stopped working on own hardware and on UNOS
and bought the first Sun system that made it to Europe. Berthold soon became
the second largest Sun OEM. Sun supplied me (via Horst Winterhoff and Bill
Joy) with  a free SunOS source to allow me to write my diploma thesis - a
WORM filesystem for SunOS-4.0 that is fully copy on write.

Due to my historical experiences with UNIX, I was always interested to have
the UNIX sources freely available for everyone and I was very happy to see
the birth of OpenSolaris. I was one of the first participants of the
OpenSolaris Pilot in September 2004 and I published the first OpenSolaris
based distro on June 17th 2005 - 3 days after OpenSolaris has been released
by Sun.

For the people who have not been in the OpenSolaris pilot: I initiated the
idea of the OpenSolaris constitution and the OGB in December 2004 and I
first had to fight against some people with this idea until it was accepted
in January 2005.

I am a strong supporter of the OpenSolaris constitution and the OGB and
I believe that it is very important for the OpenSolaris community to have
a self-confident OGB. If I get elected, I will work for a strong OpenSolaris
community and I will support the long term existence of OpenSolaris in freedom.
I am also interested to support a good co-existence of the people who work
together on OpenSolaris (inside and outside of Sun/Oracle).

I also believe that we need to work on improving the size of the OpenSolaris
community and to increase the visibility of the OpenSolaris community in the
public.

BTW: Together with some students in Berlin, I am currently planning a campaign
to support real free code. This makes sense as there is a nicely improving
number of students that privately run OpenSolaris. Stay tuned....

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       j...@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)