On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Mike DeMarco <mikej...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> everything else on the SAN. Don't forget to minimize
>> and harden the
>> build as much as possible before you patch, and patch
>> (including
>> firmware) before you let users of any type on it.
>
> Can you explain the logic behind minimize and harden before you patch? I have
> always fully patched them JASS then minimize.

Hardening should always be verified after patching.  Solaris patches
quite commonly whack hardening applied to sendmail.

> I would think that if I minimized first it would save some time patching but
> that something could get missed in the patch install. Something like if one
> package is not installed a patch to a library that is used by another
> packages could get missed.

If your minimization is such that patching breaks, the order doesn't
matter.  At some point x months or years in the future you will need
to patch again.  Don't minimize to the point that patching breaks.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/