On 03/13/10 03:10 PM, James Carlson wrote:
I just attempted to upgrade my OpenSolaris build 131 AMD64 system to
build 134, and failed miserably.  Here's what happened:

First, since this step is normally required, I tried to do "pkg install
SUNWipkg".  That didn't work.  It failed (after downloading well over
1GB) telling me that I had to use an alternate boot environment due to
the nature of the update.

Do you have packages from /contrib installed? If so, they have incorrect dependencies which caused the solver to incorrectly attempt to upgrade you to a new build. The solver in b134+ doesn't allow that.

The solution is to remove /contrib (or /pending) packages and try again.

I tried doing "pkg image-update", and that failed, telling me that I had
to install a new SUNWipkg first.  That was a bit expected, though
obviously not possible.

Use the -f option to ignore the SUNWipkg version check (which is probably wrong anyway due to the packages above).

I next did (as root; I'm still old school in some respects):

        beadm create opensolaris-8
        beadm mount opensolaris-8 /mnt/tmp
        pkg -R /mnt/tmp install SUNWipkg

Err...not quite right.  See FAQ B1:

http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+pkg/FAQ

Is this a known problem?  Did I do something wrong during the upgrade?
What should I have done to recover?

Should I file a bug?  If so, what sort of information would be helpful
in diagnosing the failure?

See above.

Cheers,
--