I don't believe you HAVE to run zap; you can run a timer module if i remember
right.  I haven't done a lot with Asterisk in a few years beyond "usage".. We
were a very early adopter of it and liked it a lot.  The zaptel drivers were
used early on for several timing functions, especially related to conference
calls / meetme.

Our Asterisk runs inside an OpenVZ container on Linux and I don't see any zap
modules loaded at the host nor container levels.

We don't use a lot of the functions any more, generally speaking we've migrated
more to skype / IM for most things we initially used Asterisk for - once we
have an established relationship with a customer many of them are preferring
other solutions than a traditional phone...