On 03/29/10 12:07 PM, Matthew Nawrocki wrote:
Hello all:

As of late, I have begun to notice increasing levels of pessimism and grumbling amongst users (and former users) of OpenSolaris. As a glasses half-full type, I would like to remind everyone that whining and complaining about petty issues such as a delayed release for OpenSolaris and the "OpenSolaris is doomed because of Linux and BSD" mantra is not going to help the situation. I am a very strong proponent of this project and I will do whatever is necessary to keep OpenSolaris in the running, even with the seemingly dire straits that we are supposedly in under Oracle. However, as an open source project, we should have nothing to fear for this remarkable operating system as the effort will persist even if Oracle refuses to support it. The community here is strong and will continue to evangelize our mission with no doubts and regrets. Now with a new OGB comprised of individuals with a passion for the platform as well as a younger generation of geeks like myself striving to
pus
  h for increased use of the software through install fests, conferences and
good old-fashioned word of mouth, I am sure we will succeed. Don't give up
everyone! Stay the course and all will be well. Thank you all.

I agree 100% with you Matt. I have seen nothing negative about Opensolaris from Oracle. So far they are actively pushing Solaris 10 for servers, nothing about Workstations and Desktops. Openoffice fits in Workstations and Desktops, I don't think they want to abandon that, so I believe (my speculation), they will offer Opensolaris as their Desktop/Workstation product. I am all for Opensolaris.

Paul