I'm seeing something in the */.zfs/snapshot  directories I hadn't
noticed before.  For example in /.zfs/snapshot

There are only files with names like:
   zfs-auto-snap:frequent[...]
   zfs-auto-snap:weekly[...]
   zfs-auto-snap:monthly[...]

No hourly or daily snapshots

In fact this seems to be true in all the zfs file systems under
rpool.

Far as I know my auto snapshot settings are what ever is the default.

But in the 2 other zpools I have; I see hourly and daily snapshots.

Am I just belatedly noticing what is the normal default or does this
indicate some kind of problem with snapshot settings on rpool?

Seems like you would want hourly and daily snapshots on rpool for sure.