On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 12:56 PM, Ian Collins <i...@ianshome.com> wrote:
> On 04/ 3/10 08:48 AM, Brent Jones wrote:
>>
>> We've been
>> "holding tight" with disabled X4540's (de-dupe issue, can't even
>> delete large files without the system hanging for 3 days until the
>> delete finishes).
>>
>> We're about ready to wipe the machines, and switch to RHEL or FreeBSD.
>> At least those operating systems support -DELETING FILES-!
>>

> I didn't realise they had dedup...  Wouldn't turning it off be easier than
> changing OS?
>
> --
> Ian.

We were promised de-dupe would be available a couple months after we
first purchased the units in December of 2008.
In reality, it took almost a year to get the feature, and it doesn't
even work. We can turn de-dupe off, but it doesn't fix that we have
hundreds of TB of de-duped data already written, that we can't delete
or destroy the datasets without bricking the systems for days/weeks
while the delete is happening.
See CR 6924824 if you want the details.

I'm more angry that we keep getting the carrot on a stick treatment,
while we could have already switched to another vendor with stable
CIFS and iSCSI services, with working de-dupe.

--
Brent Jones
br...@servuhome.net