[moving to pkg-discuss; opensolaris-discuss BCC'd]

On 04/ 2/10 03:44 PM, Henry Pepper wrote:
Hi

I'm failing to build the 'gate' application following the instructions in:
  - http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+indiana/constructor_notes
  -
http://blogs.sun.com/sunwg11nprg/entry/how_to_create_opensolaris_distribution1

a) Does anyone know where I can find information on the 'gate' project?

That's the pkg(5) project.  Note the checkout URI for hg said /hg/pkg/gate:

  http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+pkg

b) Does anyone have an idea on how to troubleshoot this?
   I've never worked with python, only perl.
c) Anyone has an idea of what the problem might be here?

You need to install a few developer packages, and you really need to be on a fairly new build such as b133+.

Once that's true, then you'll want to install a few packages:

  developer/opensolaris/pkg5
  library/python-2/setuptools-26
  runtime/python-25
  ss-dev

Building the pkg(5) gate with GNU tools currently doesn't work right, although it would be possible with some work.

Removing
/home/cadm/pkg-gate/proto/root_i386/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg-0.1-py2.6.egg-info
Writing
/home/cadm/pkg-gate/proto/root_i386/usr/lib/python2.6/vendor-packages/pkg-0.1-py2.6.egg-info
installing Mako
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "setup.py", line 1, in<module>
     from setuptools import setup, find_packages
ImportError: No module named setuptools

See above.

-Shawn