Svein Skogen wrote:
On 12.04.2010 00:16, Calum Benson wrote:
On 11/04/2010 00:35, Chris Pickett wrote:

<rumor>Rumor is that Gosling was escorted out of his office and set
into a cab to leave the campus immediately and not come back ever
again.</rumor>
I have not the slightest idea whether that's true, but to be honest it's
not all that uncommon in his line of work, especially in the US... I
know several people who've had to leave companies in a similar fashion,
whether it was their choice to leave or not.

Alas, that's true. From my time in the business, this was one of the
main differences between working for a US based company and "the rest of
them". It seems the US based companies had the basic idea "we've
probably pissed our employees off" and were quite certain anybody
leaving the workplace were going to try their best to sabotage their old
employer, while most of the European companies used the other approach
for avoiding employee sabotage ("Let's not piss off our workers").

Don't generalize -- people in Europe can get escorted out as well.

Certainly it's never happened to me, and it always seemed somewhat pointless for people who resigned, given that anyone planning to cause damage or take secrets would presumably have done this before resigning. But both "don't want the person sticking around the office for weeks or months possibly talking others into leaving", as well as any case of "resigning and going to work for a company's #1 competitor" can cause people to get escorted out right away.

Escorting people out of US companies is not common though.

Hugh.