On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Dennis Clarke <dcla...@blastwave.org>wrote:

> On 04-14-10, Paul Gress <pgr...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
> > I don't think he wants to start a new distro, he's looking to
> publishb137.
>
> That's about it in a nutshell. I have no shortage of build servers and thus
> I was thinking, if this is really open source ( with redistributables ) then
> a person with a bit of experience *should* be able to compile everything
> from the ground up and have a distro-looking-thing that anyone anywhere can
> download and run.  Really, Jörg is better at this than I.
>
> I'm really a pretty simple guy, people need or want something, I'm sitting
> on top of a bucket load of servers and mirror sites. Gee, make coffee and do
> something. Not much more complex than that. I'm not getting political or
> anything subversive. I'm just trying to solve a problem in the community.

Unless you're committing code through the sponsor program (!!), some people
think you're not contributing anything.

If we're looking forward to release 2010.$who_knows ourselves in its current
state, I think it's better to use the actual source code from where it's
going to be built by Oracle.

AFAIK, the next release was branched from b134 but it includes backports
from the other development builds that superseded it. It's probably called
b134a, b134b or something like that, right ?

The genunix website doesn't show any additional tags for b134* (
http://hg.genunix.org/onnv-gate.hg/tags). That repository is a mirror from
the actual internal repository where the developers commit their work.

$ hg clone ssh://a...@hg.opensolaris.org/hg/onnv/onnv-gate onnv-b134
requesting all changes
adding changesets
adding manifests
adding file changes
added 12161 changesets with 142449 changes to 58360 files
updating to branch default
42546 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved

$ hg update -r onnv_134
7388 files updated, 0 files merged, 1270 files removed, 0 files unresolved

$ hg update -r onnv_134a
abort: unknown revision 'onnv_134a'!

$ hg update -r onnv_134b
abort: unknown revision 'onnv_134b'!

$ hg update -r onnv_134c
abort: unknown revision 'onnv_134c'!

Does anyone know how to get the source code that is going to be the next
release ?

As some Oracle employees have already pointed out, that distribution is
*their* product. If that's the true spirit of things, it would make sense
why commits are not public and they probably see integrating the b134{a,b,c}
code into the public repository as a contribution to the OpenSolaris
project.

Not exactly how things work in other (successful) open source projects.

--
Giovanni