casper....@sun.com wrote:

> >I have a SVR3 AT&T source from 1986 and a S5R4V1 source from January 1992.
> >This allos to verify, that the SVR4 kernel is _very_ close to the SunOS-4.0
> >kernel and very far from the S5r3 source.
>
> Possible; but much of the Solaris userland was derived from SysV and not
> from SunOS 4.x.

This is correct. Note that I mentioned only the kernel....

BTW: the fact that the userland is from S5r3 was the main cause for calling
Solaris "Slowlaris" in it's early days. AT&T engineers did take their userland
sources and completely ignored all bugfixes and enhancements that did happen
between 1980 and 1990. dd(1) e.g. did not call valloc() but malloc(),
resulting in unneeded page faults, init.c did set SIGXCPU and SIGXFSZ to
SIG_IGN, causing resource limits to become rather unusable by default.

Jörg

--
 EMail:jo...@schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
       j...@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)