On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Steven Acres <ad...@swatteksystems.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> The best model to look at IMHO is redhat/fedora. This was the initial
> proving ground of opensource (otherwise known as: how do we make money from
> something we give away?) Furthering that: CentOS.

The redhat/fedora model draws interesting parallels. There was a huge
uproar when redhat got out of the free (and consumer) market. Seems
to have worked out reasonably well for them.

Then it took a while for fedora to actually stand on its own. I suspect
we're much closer to the rehat/fedora model at its beginning than we
are to its present state.

Fedora is now quite successful, but it wasn't an easy ride. If that is a
valuable model to consider, how do we get to that from where we are now?

--
-Peter Tribble