Ok, thanks all for some of your explanations. Most I understood before hand.
About manufacturers of devices and drivers for the popular windows and such.
Unlike some people, I really don't want to learn or tinker with some of the
inner workings. Just want to fire up and run.
Type letters, email, browse, photo view and edit, just day to day tasks.
So when people say edit this or edit that or install this or that, I get
confused by what they are trying to say.
I went back and installed 2010.03 developer. Install worked fine till I removed
cd and booted from HD. Then it went into a loop. I see several people with
different machines experienced this problem. Mathias and another person helped
me work through a fix, but it is a bug that should not of been there before it
was released to be downloaded, even as a developer version. But now I need to
make the fix permanent by editing a system file.
But I see in this thread, I possibly may not have permissions to do it. Because
even though I am only user and thus "administrator" I really am not, just like
windows vista and 7.  So I haven't tried the permanent fix yet, maybe tomorrow.
Also once I do the fix, I want to make a basic system restore / recovery CD, so
in event of a very bad oops, I can just reinstall my working configuration.
But apparently OSol does not support this yet (windows has since win 3.1)in the
1990's.
So is there a way, or 3rd party program that will do this?
Been playing around, looking at the gui and the menu items and using Firefox to
browse, but have not saved data yet, as I made have to do another one or two
installs before I get the hang of working in it.