> From: opensolaris-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:opensolaris-
> discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of jay krik
>
> If Oracle /Sun truly desire Open Solaris or Solaris to be a viable
> alternative to Windows and expand their userbase and financial bottom

I don't think most people (oracle especially) are interested in
solaris/opensolaris replacing the home user/end user operating system.

I'm not saying you can't use it for that purpose; just as there's nothing
preventing you from using Windows as an apache server ...

The relative strengths/weaknesses of the operating systems design make
windows/ubuntu/osx generally better suited for primary end-user desktop
interaction, while solaris/opensolaris/RHEL/debian/freebsd are generally
better suited to power your servers behind the scenes.