Daniel Rock <sola...@ddcd.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> can anyone confirm my observations with the attached test script?
>
> pax corrupts files if they contain more than 57 holes in it.
>
> I just found out today by accident after copying a large backup file. I was
> able to reproduce the bug on Solaris 10 and snv133, on UFS and ZFS.
>
> Is pax in the closed bins? I couldn't find its source code.

Interesting.... as pax does not support sparse files, I asumed that this
would also be true for the copy mode. It seems however that pax does not
do a good job for sparse files. While star is able to correctly copy sparse
files, pax is e.g. unable to copy a sparse file correctly if it ends in a hole.

I recommend

star -copy -sparse -C from todir

Jörg

--