adidas wrote:
It is ridiculous to go through installation of windows/linux just to play
movies/videos and voice/video chat.
http://www.opensolaris.com/learn/features/whats-new/200906/#1 says it is for
[b]users [/b]also (Toshiba laptops, that are sold, are not used as production
servers I think!!!). Very few things need to be done to use a server as a
desktop. No good business person denies the huge desktop market.
Yes, plenty of "good" business people deny (i.e. avoid) the desktop market. It *sucks* for revenue for everyone except Microsoft.

While it's certainly a worthy goal to support concepts like the SunRay and other corporate-style super-managed thin clients, going after the traditional home user/corporate desktop market is a Massive effort. And one which pays very, very, very little dividend.

Right now, both Linux and Windows make reasonably good desktop OSes. From the OpenSolaris standpoint, what good does it bring the project to attempt to compete with them? Having a modestly-usable system for development is good, which is what we currently have by simply recompiling apps from Linux and *BSD land. What benefit would we gain by spending a whole lot of effort trying to improve the "business/home user" experience? Right now, OpenSolaris is targeted at the Enterprise and Technical User communities. What reason is sufficient for OpenSolaris to try to move beyond those communities?

OpenSolaris is a niche OS - highly robust, highly scaleable, highly manageable servers and appliances. It's a rather broad niche, but it's a niche nonetheless. Given the more limited resources available for its development, I can't see any cost-benefit to trying to expand it out of that niche. OpenSolaris works very well in conjunction with other OSes, so there's no need for an "OpenSolaris-everywhere" strategy.

All that said, it's an entirely worthy goal to continue to port over those Linux & *BSD userland applications which require little effort, and enhance the user experience. I'm just not in favor of any serious effort at the OS level to accommodate more "desktop-ish" features at the expense of server features/improvements. For instance: I don't particularly care that OpenSolaris's firewire support isn't that great.

ObDisclaimer: All statements and opinions are my own, and do not represent in any way that of my employer or anyone else.

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support