--- On Sat, 7/10/10, Ian Collins <i...@ianshome.com> wrote:

> From: Ian Collins <i...@ianshome.com>
> Subject: Re: [osol-discuss] Benchmarking OpenSolaris and Solaris 10?
> To: "Ken Mays" <maybird1...@yahoo.com>
> Cc: opensolaris-discuss@opensolaris.org
> Date: Saturday, July 10, 2010, 8:17 PM
> On 07/11/10 12:06 PM, Ken Mays
> wrote:
> > This is what we started putting together to check with
> Phoronix:
> >
> > Lenovo ThinkPad T61 notebook with an Intel Core 2 Duo
> T9300 "Penryn" dual-core processor clocked at 2.50GHz, 4GB
> of system memory, a 100GB Hitachi HTS72201 SATA HDD, and
> NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M graphics. PHP5 v5.3.2 used.
> >
> > Solaris 10u8 with the 5.10 kernel, GNOME 2.6.2, X
> Server 1.7.2, GCC 4.4.4, and a ZFS file-system.
> >

> Don't Sun/Oracle get snotty over publishing unofficial
> Solaris benchmarks?

See: 'AMD Shanghai Opteron: Linux vs. OpenSolaris Benchmarks'
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15321

and

'Fedora, Debian, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, OpenSolaris Benchmarks'
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_bsd_opensolaris&num=1

Those articles are the core point of the thread. The Phoronix benchmarking tool
is publically available for Oracle's use and debate. Benchmarking results are
already posted on Phoronix's website for both FreeBSD 8.1-RC2 and OSOL 2009.06.

Another article was posted using the defualts of OpenSolaris 2009.06 mentioned
here for performance testing on Netbooks:

"OpenSolaris 2009.06, which was released in June, was based upon Solaris Nevada
Build 111b. The packages included X Server 1.5.3, Mesa 7.2, GCC 4.3.2,
xf86-video-intel 2.4, and the ZFS file-system. On the OpenSolaris side it had
Java SE 1.6.0_13-b03 as its default OS Java environment and with Ubuntu there
was OpenJDK IcedTea6 1.4.1 ...

Using the Phoronix Test Suite on both Linux and OpenSolaris we ran a number of
different tests. These tests included Sun's Java 2D Microbenchmark, LAME MP3
encoding, Ogg encoding, LZMA compression, GnuPG, dcraw, Threaded I/O Tester,
GraphicsMagick, BYTE Unix Benchmark, Sudokut, Sunflow Rendering System, and
Java SciMark. During testing both operating systems were left at their defaults
as our intentions are to provide an "out of the box" comparison of both Ubuntu
9.04 and OpenSolaris 2009.06."

Well, benchmarks are always a subject of debate when done by third parties
and not the originating manufacturers. Any mud-slinging is the normal
by-product of such test reports.

> > Phoronix Tests:
> >
> <snip>
> > A few tests need implementing. ZFS works for now
> (awaiting official word).
> >

> What do you mean by "ZFS works for now"?
>
> --
> Ian.

ZFS works for now for the simple purposes of these benchmarking tests.

~ Ken Mays