I've got a Siemens TFT (19", 1440x900 AFAIR), which I was never able to get
running at native resolution - except on XP/32. Tried all sorts of EDID dumping
programs, manual xorg.conf creation etc., to no avail (Vista and Windows 7 also
were not happy with it). Now it's in the box, waiting to be dumped on some
project which does not require proper monitor.

I also have in my disposal a bunch of Acer monitors with native resolution
1400x1050. They appear to be identical, same model number etc., but roughly
half of them simply cannot be used at native on *any* OS, max at 1280x1024; the
rest work fine everywhere.

Don't discount a dodgy monitor.

Chavdar