> Stefan Parvu <stefanparv...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Interesting. Do you have any comparative numbers
> between
> > OSOL and others: RHAT, Ubuntu for instance ?
> >
> > I had the impression SMF did improve things. As I
> read your post
> > it seems, sometimes in past but not anymore ... why
> is that ?
> > Probable somebody should fill in some bugs
> regarding this ?
>
> Correct, it _did_ improve things. But in 2004 there
> have been aprox. 60
> services and now we have aprox. 240 services.
>
> I have no idea in whether service creation is slow,
> whether the problem is
> that more configuration data has been moved into smf
> or whether there are
> other reasons.
>
> Jörg

If SMF starts too many services in parallel, wouldn't
that actually slow things down, with more
context switches due to time slicing?  If so, would the
answer be to pace starts proportionate to the number
of hardware threads available to the zone, or would
it work better to throttle based on the rate of involuntary
context switches?