On 7/28/2010 4:22 PM, Karol wrote:
I appear to be getting between 2-9MB/s reads from individual disks in my zpool
as shown in iostat -v
I expect upwards of 100MBps per disk, or at least aggregate performance on par
with the number of disks that I have.

My configuration is as follows:
Two  Quad-core 5520 processors
48GB ECC/REG ram
2x LSI 9200-8e SAS HBAs (2008 chipset)
Supermicro 846e2 enclosure with LSI sasx36 expander backplane
20 seagate constellation 2TB SAS harddrives
2x 8GB Qlogic dual-port FC adapters in target mode
4x Intel X25-E 32GB SSDs available (attached via LSI sata-sas interposer)
mpt_sas driver
multipath enabled, all four LSI ports connected for 4 paths available:
f_sym, load-balance logical-block region size 11 on seagate drives
f_asym_sun, load-balance none, on intel ssd drives

currently not using the SSDs in the pools since it seems I have a deeper issue
here.
Pool configuration is four 2-drive mirror vdevs in one pool, and the same in
another pool.  2 drives are for OS and 2 drives aren't being used at the moment.

Where should I go from here to figure out what's wrong?
Thank you in advance - I've spent days reading and testing but I'm not getting
anywhere.

This is a discussion for zfs-disc...@opensolaris.org. I'm moving replies to that list.

We need to know specifics about what your usage pattern is. That is, what size of read/write are you doing to these mirrors?

Also, are your SSDs configured as slog (ZIL) or as cache (L2ARC)? If the latter case, then 'iostat -v' will not show performance of files which were in the L2ARC (or ARC). So, paradoxically, if you get really good performance by frequently reading files already resident in cache, then you won't see much performance out of the disks, as they're only being infrequently touched. This is good. :-)

Also, I'm assuming you mean 'zpool iostat -v', right?

--
Erik Trimble
Java System Support