On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 04:33:47PM -0400, Kyle McDonald wrote:
> On 7/30/2010 4:24 PM, Will Fiveash wrote:

> >> It can be awkward if you're using LDAP or NIS and the server is down
> >> or the client is incorrectly set up.
> >>
> >> This *can* be worked around by making sure every machine has a valid
> >> local user with access to the root role -- sort of.  pfexec becomes
> >> extremely slow if you have incorrectly configured LDAP -- as in
> >> several minutes of waiting to run a single command.  I suspect it
> >> tries to look up userIDs via LDAP first and has a long timeout.  Best
> >> to su to root in that situation.
> >
> > This is a variant of the convenience argument.  Systems with root as a
> > role require a local user account with Primary Administrator role.  When
> > I installed OpenSolaris it did the right thing and created such an
> > account that does not depend on NIS or LDAP and is thus insulated from
> > issues with those servers.  That user account should only have local
> > paths in the PATH and a local home directory for greater reliability.
> >

> I actually like root as a role, but it strikes me that by forcing all
> machines to have a single local user with a pw that everyone knows,
> you've totally re-opened the hole that this was supposed to close.
> Anyone can login as that local user, and assume the root role anonymously.

Just because a system has a local user account doesn't imply that
everyone should know the password.

> Isn't there anything that can be done so that these local accounts
> aren't needed?

Actually, it may be possible to configure a system with no local user
accounts but if the network or nameservice is down it may be a hassle to
login to that system and may require booting off the install DVD.  Note
that I have not tried such a config.

--
Will Fiveash
Oracle